At Inspired Occasions we are constantly searching for new and innovative dishes to wow and amaze our client's and their guests.
This website is designed to take you on a journey by bringing you into our kitchens to observe our culinary creative process from conception to final presentation.
As we create each new dish we will define our inspiration, discuss challenges, present our solutions and post some great pictures along the way.
So join us in the Inspired Occasions Research and Development Test Kitchen for some amazing new dishes! I guarantee an amazing journey!

Friday, May 18, 2012

Growing some Happiness


This is my garden.  This is where I spend several hours every day, watering, weeding, planting and harvesting.  This is both a link to my past and a gateway to my future.  This is my garden.


Four years ago my mother and I took on the task of cleaning up the vacant lot next to Inspired Occasions, turning weed and clover filled space into a lush collection of raised bed gardens and tomato cages.  This year we are growing 24 different variety of heirloom tomatoes, 6 different kinds of spicy peppers, Japanese eggplants, golden and purple raspberries, rhubarb, beets, carrots, swiss chard, blueberries, patty pan squash, zucchini, okra, 5 different kinds of radishes, salsify and a series of herbs thriving in the warm spring sun.
 
This project has become a labor of love for both my mother and I because the task became personal on so many levels.  My mother and I would laugh as we planned out the beds, talking about how grandpa would be so proud of us and spouted off a few of his more memorable quotes and carpentry tips.  As we labored in the hot sun building the beds she would regale me with tales of the farm from when she was a little girl, or even stories of my grandpa when he was young. 

As we started filling the beds, and planting all of the herbs and vegetables, we would repeat pearls of wisdom my grandmother told us.  I shared stories of summers helping my grandmother in her big garden on the farm weed and harvest all of her crops.  I had a nasty habit of eating the radishes and green beans faster than she could pick them. 

Every spring the garden becomes a large part of my life, because it’s not just a bunch of plants, it’s a link to my past and a constant reminder of loved ones gone and the times we spent together.



The first harvest of the year yielded a massive mound of plump french and red radishes and sweet swiss chard.  While I love radishes I had never thought of a use for the tops, till now!  I made a tasty and delicate radish top soup with creme fraiche, slice of fresh radish and diced cucumber.  The soup was cool and delicate while still having almost a nettle bite, perfect for a hot spring day!





1 comment:

  1. What a lovely and "inspired" blog post.

    I personally love stories that connect food, family and love. Beautifully written, poignant and touching.

    Your mom and dad and grandparents must be very proud and glowing!!

    Knowing your parents and that they have put their heart and soul into the business of food, they must be thrilled to know hat they are leaving their "third child" to tender loving care and passing on to another generation that actually "gets it".

    Thank you for sharing your beautiful garden and stories.

    ReplyDelete