At Inspired Occasions we are constantly searching for new and innovative dishes to wow and amaze our client's and their guests.
This website is designed to take you on a journey by bringing you into our kitchens to observe our culinary creative process from conception to final presentation.
As we create each new dish we will define our inspiration, discuss challenges, present our solutions and post some great pictures along the way.
So join us in the Inspired Occasions Research and Development Test Kitchen for some amazing new dishes! I guarantee an amazing journey!

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Day off Dinner

We all need a day off every now and then.  A time to step away from our job and do something for ourselves, something that will melt away the stress of the week and rejuvenate us for the week ahead.  On my day off I did what any good Research and Development Chef would do, I hosted a dinner party!

I have just moved into my new condo, I was still waiting on my table and chairs to be delivered, and just couldn't fight the urge to have a special group of people over to celebrate my very first dinner party!  But I couldn't play this one safe, just because my crowd was family doesn't mean I could phone this one in.  No I had to bust out all the stops and really set the tone for my new life in the heart of Westport.

During the summer the grill is my tool of choice.  Fast and direct or low and slow a fired up grill loaded with goodies for friends and family is a Norman Rockwell painting of summer.  And in the spirit of back yard cookouts I wanted to make the grill the focal point of the entire dinner.  I wanted to elevate the standard meat and potatoes fare with light and fun dishes to both entertain and delight!

The evening needed to start with a bang, set the tone, get these people just screaming with anticipation for the next course.  So I went a little crazy and came up with something amazing, a grilled polenta pizza margarita!  The polenta was made in a traditional style with rich homemade chicken stock, shave parmesan and fresh cracked black pepper, but I scaled back on the amount of stock to create a firm yet delicate crust.  After a brief period in the cooler to firm up I oiled the crust with olive oil and took it to the grill.  The parmesan created wonderful crisp grill lines while imparting that great toasty cheese flavor throughout the crust.  The pizza was then topped with tri color, home grown, heirloom tomatoes, and fresh mozzarella slices.  A second trip to the grill to melt the cheese then the whole pie was topped with fresh picked dark purple and sweet Italian basil a robust balsamic reduction and extra virgin olive oil.  The contrast of sweet tomatoes,crisp smokey crust, the toothy texture of the polenta and the melty goodness of the mozzarella almost made me forget about every other pizza out there.... almost.


Now that I had their attention we moved on to the main event.  I started with a salad and pasta combo, homemade fettuccini noodles with a fresh clams, julienned zucchini and white wine sauce tossed with fresh herbs and home grown red chili's. The clams were steamed in a mixture of crisp white wine, fresh thyme and a little home grown cayenne pepper.  While they were steaming away the julienned zucchini was sauteed with extra virgin olive oil, garlic and fresh thyme.  The sauce and zucchini were combined then tossed with the noodles still steaming from their pot of salted water.  The sweet clams were highlighted by the bright flavor of the wine and fresh herbs while the cayenne pepper brought up the rear with a sweet floral heat.   A wonderful light pasta for a hot summer day.

The scent from the grill would waft into my house every time I opened my door, guiding my guests through their current course and setting the stage for the next.  Grilled hearts of romaine were plattered right off the grill and dressed with shaved parmesan, seasonings and drizzled with homemade Caesar salad dressing.  The cheese melted into the grooves and the dressing coated each of the leaves.  The char added a smoke and bite to the romaine, the melted cheese added a creamy texture and the dressing kept the salad fresh and bright.

 

Our main course was next, herb brined rotisserie chicken with roasted tri colored pearl potatoes with red onion and rosemary.   The chicken we brined with salt, sugar, white wine, lemons, garlic, peppercorns, fresh basil, rosemary, thyme, oregano,and sage pulled right from our garden.  The chicken turned slowly on my rotisserie while the potatoes roasted in the drip pan underneath.  The brine kept the chicken super moist, the grill made the skin golden brown and crispy, and the potatoes were the perfect medium of texture and roasty flavor.  



The last course of the evening was a throwback with a fun modernist twist, an Amalfi coast Ricotta Tort topped with a fresh blueberry and lemon verbena compote.  The torte is like a very light whipped Italian cheesecake, bursting with the flavors of fresh lemon and tangy ricotta.  The sweet and tart blueberry compote was enhance by the herbal bite of the lemon verbena.  It was a perfect ending to an amazing dinner, leaving us all satisfied yet not stuffed. 

Summer is the time of year for fresh and light.  Smoke and char add elements to our familiar dishes that turn them from old favorites to new classics. 

Stay tuned for more inspired dishes from Lon Lane's Inspired Occasions Research and Development Department!

No comments:

Post a Comment